Having the correct type of transmission fluid for your vehicle can make all the difference in your vehicle’s longevity, performance, and safety.
In this article, we will review the basics of Ax4s transmission fluid and some essential steps to check, change and maintain your Ax4s transmission fluid.
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Type
Ax4s recommends Mercon V as the correct transmission fluid type for several Ford vehicles.
This particular type of fluid provides superior protection for the transmission and helps ensure that the transmission shifts smoothly.
Ax4s Transmission Fluid And Filter Change
Here’s a step-by-step guide to changing your Ax4s transmission fluid and filter:
- Park your vehicle on a flat and level surface
- Place a large container underneath the transmission
- Place a large bucket underneath the transmission
- Remove the top plate and filter
- Place transmission fluid in the appropriate jar
- Place the top plate back
- Place the filter into the new jar
- Check for leaks
- refill the transmission with new fluid
- Close the top of the transmission
- Take your vehicle for a test drive
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Capacity With Torque Converter
The capacity of the transmission fluid and filter will depend on the type and size of your torque converter.
In most cases, the capacity for Ax4s transmission fluid for the torque converter model is 13.7 quarts.
How Much Fluid Does A Ax4s Transmission Hold
For the Ax4s model transmission, the recommended transmission fluid and filter capacity when replacing the Torque Converter is 13.7 quarts when changing the fluid and filter.
It is important to note that this is the capacity when the transmission is filled with a cold start.
How Many Quarts Of Transmission Fluid Goes In A Ax4s
In most cases, the recommended fill capacity of Ax4s transmission fluid is between 10-11 quarts.
However, when changing your transmission fluid and filter, the recommended fill capacity may be below 13.7 quarts.
Read More About: E4OD Transmission Fluid
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Check- How To
If you are unsure of the fluid level in your Ax4s transmission, then it is essential to check the fluid level before you start the vehicle. This is done with a dipstick check in most cases.
To check the fluid level, remove the oil fill cap and look at the dipstick inside your engine bay.
Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the existing fluid. Re-insert it and check the fluid level on end. The level should be between the full and add marks on the dipstick.
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Flow
When the transmission is functioning properly, the fluid flows through the transmission smoothly and efficiently.
However, if there is an obstruction in the transmission or the correct lubricant and fluid are not used, the transmission fluid flow may become restricted and cause issues.
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Capacity Dry
The recommended dry fill capacity for the Ax4s transmission ranges from 13.7 quarts for most models.
It is important to note that this capacity should remain the same regardless of whether the transmission is hot or cold-filled.
Ax4s Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch
The Ax4s transmission fluid pressure switch is a unique component in the Ax4s automatic transmission.
Its purpose is to detect whether or not there is enough pressure to continue the transmission process.
If there is too little pressure, the switch will alert the driver, allowing them to adjust the transmission accordingly.
What Is The Difference Between Ax4n And Ax4s?
The main difference between Ax4n and Ax4s transmission fluid is their ability to resist high temperatures.
Ax4n fluid is designed to handle temperatures up to 190 degrees Fahrenheit while Ax4s fluid can handle temperatures up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Ax4s fluid also has a higher viscosity, meaning it is thicker and stays in the transmission longer than Ax4n.
What Is An Automatic Transaxle Filter?
The automatic transaxle filter is a filter placed in the transmission. Its purpose is to filter out any dirt, debris, and other contaminants that can move through the transmission and harm its efficiency.
Typically, this filter is an oiled paper filter, but other filter media can also be used. It is important to regularly flush and change the filter to ensure that the transmission remains functioning correctly.
What Is Hydraulic Transmission Fluid?
Hydraulic fluid is found in hydraulic systems and creates pressure and flow. This fluid is essential to hydraulic systems, allowing components to operate correctly and efficiently.
Hydraulic transmission fluid is also used to lubricate parts and as a coolant for parts requiring it due to high temperatures.
What Is DW1 Transmission Fluid?
DW1 transmission fluid is used exclusively in certain Honda and Acura models. It is a synthetic oil-based fluid used to protect the transmission from wear and tear and provide proper lubrication.
It also helps reduce friction and heat, allowing the transmission to operate without issues.
Can I Mix Transmission Fluid With Hydraulic Fluid?
No. This can cause significant damage to both the transmission and hydraulic systems. Mixing the two can lead to the parts’ contamination and cause severe transmission problems.
It is best always to keep the two fluids separate to ensure the best performance and lifespan of both transmission and hydraulic systems.
Benefits Of Ax4S Transmission Fluid
Enhanced Transmission Performance And Power Delivery
If you’re looking to boost your vehicle’s performance and power delivery, then you’ll be happy to hear about the benefits of ax4s transmission fluid. Here are some of the key points:
- Ax4s transmission fluid is specifically formulated to enhance transmission performance and power delivery, providing smoother and more efficient gear changes.
- With its advanced formula, this fluid also helps your transmission run cooler, reducing the risk of overheating and transmission damage.
- Ax4s transmission fluid also prolongs the life of your transmission, reducing the likelihood of expensive repairs down the line.
Smooth Gear Shifts And Reduced Transmission Wear
When it comes to gear shifts, nobody likes a rough transition. Here are some of the ways ax4s transmission fluid can help:
- Thanks to its outstanding friction properties, ax4s transmission fluid ensures smoother gear changes, eliminating that jerky transition you sometimes feel between gears.
- This fluid also contains premium additives that help prevent wear and tear on your transmission components, prolonging the lifespan of your system.
- Reduced wear and tear means your transmission will perform better for longer, which translates to fewer repairs and maintenance costs down the line.
Improved Fuel Efficiency And Reduced Maintenance Costs
Who doesn’t want to save a little money on fuel and maintenance? Here’s how ax4s transmission fluid can help:
- This transmission fluid is specially designed to provide superior lubrication, keeping moving parts running smoothly, and reducing energy loss due to friction.
- Improved lubrication also means that ax4s transmission fluid can help improve fuel efficiency, as your transmission will be running more efficiently and using less power to function.
- Reduced wear on your transmission parts can also mean savings in the long run, as there will likely be fewer repairs needed and a reduced likelihood of expensive or unexpected downtime.
How To Choose The Right Ax4S Transmission Fluid For Your Car
Your car’s transmission is a critical component that needs to be maintained regularly to stay in good shape.
When it comes to selecting an ax4s transmission fluid that is right for your vehicle, there are a few important factors to consider.
Also Read: 4R100 Transmission Fluid
Factors To Consider When Selecting Ax4S Transmission Fluid:
- Type of vehicle: The type of vehicle you have can influence the type of transmission fluid you should use. Different vehicles require different types of transmission fluids with varying viscosity and additives. It is essential to check your car manual to ensure that you are using the right fluid for your vehicle.
- Type of driving: The way you drive can also impact your choice of transmission fluid. If you drive in harsh environments, such as in extreme cold or hot weather conditions, or on rugged terrains, you may need a more robust transmission fluid for maximum protection.
- Fluid quality: It is essential to use high-quality ax4s transmission fluid to prevent transmission damage. Top-quality transmission fluids come with friction modifiers, anti-wear agents, and other additives to protect your transmission and keep it functioning smoothly.
Different Types Of Ax4S Transmission Fluid Available In The Market:
- Dexron iii/mercon: This is a common type of transmission fluid that works well with most ax4s transmission systems. It is also compatible with a variety of other automatic transmission systems. This option is suitable for vehicles older than 2006.
- Multi-vehicle original equipment manufacturer (mv oe): This option is designed for specific car models. It is uniquely formulated to meet the manufacturer’s specifications and requirements, keeping your transmission functioning optimally. Ensure to check your car manual for the recommended type.
- Synthetic transmission fluids: Synthetic transmission fluids are designed to outlast traditional mineral oil-based fluids. They offer excellent protection and performance, reducing heat and wear on your vehicle’s components. Synthetic transmission fluids are a great option for high-performance vehicles and vehicles that tow heavy loads.
Compatibility With Different Car Models And Years:
It is vital to ensure your ax4s transmission fluid is compatible with your vehicle’s make, model and year.
Using an incompatible transmission fluid can result in transmission damage and other mechanical issues.
Always refer to your car manual for the specific type of ax4s transmission fluid recommended for your vehicle.
Choosing the right ax4s transmission fluid can help prolong the lifespan of your transmission system, improve performance and efficiency, and prevent expensive repairs.
Stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations, review the different types of transmission fluids, and factor in your vehicle’s operating conditions, and you’ll have the perfect fluid for your vehicle.
How To Conduct A Transmission Fluid Change With Ax4S Transmission Fluid
Step-By-Step Guide To Changing Your Car’S Transmission Fluid With Ax4S
Regularly changing the transmission fluid in your car can prolong the transmission’s life and help you avoid expensive repairs down the line.
In this section, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide to conducting a transmission fluid change with ax4s.
Step 1: The first step is to locate the transmission fluid dipstick. Generally, it is located towards the back of the engine and easily identifiable with its red or yellow color.
Step 2: Once you’ve found the dipstick, you should pull it out and examine the color and smell of the fluid. If the fluid looks dirty, smells burnt, or has particles floating in it, it’s time for a change.
Step 3: Before draining the old fluid, we need to warm up the engine. Start the vehicle and allow the engine to run for 10-15 minutes to heat the existing fluid. Afterward, switch it off and proceed to the next step.
Step 4: locate the transmission pan and drain plug. Use a socket or wrench to remove the drain plug and drain the old fluid into a drain pan.
Step 5: once the fluid has fully drained, replace the drain plug, and remove the transmission pan.
Step 6: Clean the pan and inspect it for any signs of wear or damage. Also, clean the gasket material off both the pan and transmission with a razor blade or gasket scraper.
Step 7: To reinstall the pan, use a fresh gasket and torque the bolts to the required specification.
Step 8: Remove the fill plug located on the side of the transmission and fill it with ax4s up to the recommended level. Check against the dipstick to ensure that it’s neither too much nor too little.
Step 9: Replace the fill plug, start the engine, and allow the fluid to circulate throughout the transmission.
Step 10: Conduct a final check to ensure the fluid level’s accuracy and cleanliness, and replace the dipstick back in.
Tools And Materials Needed For The Transmission Fluid Change
Having the right tools and materials are critical in conducting a transmission fluid change with ax4s. Below are some of the essentials you’ll need:
- Drain pan: For draining the old fluid.
- Socket or wrench set: To remove the drain plug.
- Razor blade or gasket scraper: For cleaning the pan and transmission gasket material.
- Fresh ax4s fluid: To fill the transmission to the recommended level.
- Transmission funnel: To prevent spilling the fluid.
- Torque wrench: To torque bolts to the specified torque.
Precautions To Take During The Transmission Fluid Change Process
Changing the transmission fluid can be messy, but with some precautions, you can avoid accidents or damaging your car’s parts.
Here are some precautions to consider:
- Wear gloves and protective clothing: To keep yourself protected from harsh chemicals and oil spills.
- Work in a well-ventilated area: Fumes from the fluid and chemicals can be toxic and dangerous.
- Level the car: A level car ensures accurate fluid levels.
- Follow manufacturer specifications: Use only the recommended type of fluid and the proper quantity.
- Dispose of fluids properly: Old transmission fluid requires proper disposal and recycling.
By following our step-by-step guide, having the right tools and materials, and taking the right precautions, you can successfully change the transmission fluid in your car with ax4s. Remember to work safely and take your time to ensure the job is done correctly.
Common Myths About Ax4S Transmission Fluid And The Truth Behind Them
When it comes to maintenance, many people believe that using the wrong products can cause damage to their vehicles.
One of the essential fluids in your car is the transmission fluid, which is responsible for lubricating the moving parts, cooling the transmission, and transmitting power from the engine to the wheels.
We will debunk some common myths about ax4s transmission fluid to help you take proper care of your vehicle.
Myth 1: Using Ax4S Transmission Fluid Will Void Your Car’S Warranty
This common myth is entirely false. Your car’s warranty won’t void if you use ax4s transmission fluid. Moreover, different types of transmission fluids can damage the transmission, resulting in costly repairs.
Always follow your car’s manual instructions, and use the recommended transmission fluid to avoid any issues during warranty claims.
Myth 2: Ax4S Transmission Fluid Is Only Suitable For High-Performance Cars
This notion is also untrue. Ax4s transmission fluid is suitable for all vehicles that require dexron iii/ mercon fluid.
It is not exclusive to high-performance cars, but it can enhance the performance of certain models.
Moreover, using ax4s transmission fluid can improve the shifting quality and extend the transmission’s life.
Myth 3: You Should Only Change Your Car’S Transmission Fluid When It Starts To Smell Burnt
Your car’s transmission fluid requires regular change intervals, recommended by the manufacturer.
Waiting for your car’s transmission fluid to smell burnt is a huge mistake. By the time the fluid smells burnt, it has already lost its lubricating properties, causing damage to the transmission.
Changing the transmission fluid at recommended intervals helps prevent expensive transmission repairs and ensures optimal transmission performance.
Ax4s transmission fluid is a suitable and reliable choice for your vehicle if it meets your car’s manufacturer requirements.
Don’t believe any myths related to using ax4s transmission fluid. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take care of your vehicle to avoid any potential issues.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Ax4S Transmission Fluid
1. What Is The Ax4S Transmission Fluid?
Ax4s transmission fluid is a specialized lubricant designed for use with the ford ax4s transmission.
It is formulated to provide optimal performance and protection in a range of driving conditions.
2. How Often Should You Change The Ax4S Transmission Fluid?
It is recommended that the ax4s transmission fluid is changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles, or every two to four years.
Regular fluid changes help to ensure optimal performance and extend the lifespan of the transmission.
3. What Happens If You Don’T Use The Right Transmission Fluid?
Using the wrong transmission fluid can cause a range of problems, including reduced performance, increased wear and tear, and transmission failure. It’s essential to use the correct fluid for your specific transmission model.
Can You Mix Different Transmission Fluids?
No, you should never mix different types of transmission fluid. Mixing fluids can cause a range of problems, including reduced performance, increased wear and tear, and transmission failure. Stick to using the recommended fluid for your vehicle.
Is It Possible To Change The Transmission Fluid Yourself?
Yes, it is possible to change the transmission fluid yourself, but it can be a complicated process, and you need to be careful to ensure that you’re using the correct fluid and completing the job correctly. It may be safer and more efficient to have a professional mechanic handle it.
Please Read More About: 5R110 Transmission Fluid
Ax4s transmission fluid is an essential part of automatic transmission. Its pressure switch helps detect when there is not enough pressure, and its higher viscosity helps keep the transmission lubricated and running smoothly.
We also discussed the differences between Ax4n and Ax4s fluid, what an automatic transaxle filter is, hydraulic transmission fluid, and DW1 transmission fluid.