The 6L90E transmission is a powerful and reliable 6-speed heavy-duty automatic transmission incorporating advanced features for enhanced performance, efficiency, and durability.
Designed for use in high-torque applications, the 6L90E has become the go-to transmission for many automotive enthusiasts.
6l90e Transmission Fluid Type
Dexron VI is an automatic transmission fluid that General Motors designed. It’s specifically formulated to provide optimal performance, protection, and shifting quality for vehicles equipped with a 6l90e transmission.
6l90e Transmission Fluid And Filter Change
Here are the steps involved in changing the filter and fluid.
Step 1: Warm the Engine
Start by warming the engine, which helps open the filter and allows for easier pouring of the new fluid.
Step 2: Remove the Oil Pan
Use a socket wrench to disconnect the bolts that secure the oil pan, and then carefully place the screws into a plastic bag.
Step 3: Change the Filter
Remove the old filter and insert the new filter.
Step 4: Reinstall the Oil Pan
Using the same bolts, carefully ensure that the pans seal is in position and the pan is properly fitted.
Step 5: Refill With New Fluid
Fill the transmission with the recommended amount of fresh transmission fluid using a funnel.
Step 6: Check the Level
With the engine running, check the dipstick for the correct fluid level.
Step 7: Final Check
Ensure all bolts are tight and the filter and pan are properly installed.
Read More About: AOD Transmission Fluid
6l90e Transmission Fluid Capacity With Torque Converter
The 6L90E is a six-speed automatic transmission widely used in General Motors vehicles. The transmission fluid capacity of the 6L90E, including the torque converter, is 10 quarts.
How Much Fluid Does A 6l90e Transmission Hold
While there is no standard fluid capacity for this transmission, the 6L90E typically holds around 10 quarts of fluid.
How Many Quarts Of Transmission Fluid Goes In A 6l90e Transmission
If you have a 6l90e transmission, you need 10 quarts of transmission fluid for a proper level and function.
The vehicle manufacturer recommends this quantity, so it can vary depending on the specific configuration of your vehicle.
6l90e Transmission Fluid Check- How To
There are several ways to check your 6L90E transmission fluid. The first method is to check the dipstick, which can be found under the car hood.
A quick look should show if the fluid is at the recommended level and if the color looks normal.
If the fluid is low or the color is off, do not attempt to drive your car, as this can damage your transmission.
Also Read: Aode Transmission Fluid
6l90e Transmission Fluid Flow
The transmission fluid flow begins with it entering the transmission case. From there, it flows into the differential, then directs it to the turbine wheel.
The turbine wheel then splits the fluid into three distinct paths before they reach the transmission’s shift valves.
6l90e Transmission Fluid Capacity Dry
When the 6L90E transmission is dry, the fluid capacity is 10 quarts. This is important to consider before refilling it with new fluid.
6l90e Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor
When the temperature of the transmission fluid rises too high, it can hurt the vehicle’s performance.
This can cause slipping, jerking, hard shifting, and other issues. The excessive heat also causes premature wear and tear on the transmission and can even void the transmission’s warranty.
6l90e Transmission Transmission Fluid Change Interval
Changes in the transmission fluid every 45,000 miles can go a long way in ensuring your car’s transmission works as it should.
Also Check: 4R70W Transmission Fluid
6l90e Transmission Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor
You must ensure that you purchase a reliable 6L90e transmission fluid pressure sensor and it is important to understand the needs of your 6L90e transmission and the operating environment temperature range in which it will be used
6l90e Transmission Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch
If any signs of wear are visible, or if the pressure switch tester shows any irregularities, then it is likely that the pressure switch needs to be replaced.
Before replacing the pressure switch, it’s important to ensure the correct replacement part is used, as the wrong part may cause further damage to the transmission components.
What temp should 6L90 transmission be?
The average temperature range for the 6L90 automatic transmission should be between 158°F to 239°F.
This is an optimal temperature range to ensure the transmission runs at peak performance.
What is the difference between 6l80e and 6l90e?
The main difference between the 6L80E and 6L90E transmissions lies in their internal components and the power that each offers.
If you want a lightweight and efficient transmission for your high-performance vehicle, the 6L80E would be the ideal option.
Please Read: E4OD Transmission Fluid
How good is the 6L90 transmission?
The transmission is incredibly strong and durable, and features an impressive 850 ft-lbs of torque capacity.
This makes it easily capable of handling the power of large trucks and SUVs. It also utilizes a planetary gear set and a dual-clutch system to provide smooth shifts and dependable performance.
What Is The 6L90E Transmission Fluid?
Definition And Components Of 6L90E Transmission Fluid
The 6l90e is a six-speed automatic transmission that can be found in many general motors vehicles.
The 6l90e transmission fluid is the specialized lubricant used to keep the transmission running smoothly. Here are some key points about the transmission fluid:
- The 6l90e transmission fluid is specially designed to withstand the heat and pressure generated by the transmission.
- The fluid’s primary function is to lubricate the moving parts in the transmission to reduce friction and wear.
- The fluid also helps to cool the transmission and clean the internal components.
The components of the 6l90e transmission fluid are as follows:
- Base oil: This is the main component of the fluid, which provides lubrication to the transmission.
- Viscosity index improvers: These are added to the fluid to ensure that it maintains its viscosity at different temperatures.
- Detergents and dispersants: These help to keep the transmission clean by removing contaminants and preventing the build-up of sludge.
- Anti-wear additives: These additives protect the transmission’s metal components from wear and tear.
- Friction modifiers: These help to improve the transmission’s performance by reducing friction between the moving parts.
Importance Of Using Good-Quality Fluid For Your Vehicle’S Performance
Using good-quality 6l90e transmission fluid is crucial to your vehicle’s performance. Here are some reasons why:
- Good-quality transmission fluid maintains the stability of your transmission, ensuring that it shifts smoothly and efficiently.
- The right fluid keeps your transmission from overheating, which can cause damage and reduce its lifespan.
- High-quality 6l90e transmission fluid contains detergents and dispersants that can prevent the buildup of harmful deposits in the transmission.
- By using the right fluid, you can improve the overall performance of your vehicle and extend the lifespan of your transmission.
When choosing transmission fluid, make sure to use the type recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
Using the wrong fluid can cause problems with shifting and lead to costly repairs. A good-quality 6l90e transmission fluid is an investment that can save you money and prevent a whole lot of hassle in the long run.
Benefits Of Using 6L90E Transmission Fluid
Replacing the transmission fluid is vital for the proper functioning of your 6l90e transmission.
While different types of transmission fluids are available, using 6l90e transmission fluid can provide many advantages.
Enhances Acceleration And Speed
The transmission fluid plays an essential role in the acceleration and speed of your vehicle. Using 6l90e transmission fluid can significantly improve both.
- Helps to transfer power smoothly through the transmission
- Reduces friction between transmission parts
- Allows for swift gear changes
- Improves the shifting quality of your vehicle
Improves Overall Engine Performance
By reducing the stress on transmission and engine parts, using 6l90e transmission fluid can also improve overall engine performance.
- Provides lubrication and cooling to transmission components, safeguarding the transmission from overheating and prolonging its lifespan
- Enables the engine to operate smoothly and quietly
- Helps increase the fuel efficiency
- Decreases the risk of costly engine repairs
Reduces Wear And Tear On Transmission Parts
The 6l90e transmission fluid also helps to diminish the wear and tear on transmission parts, including the transmission bands, bearings, and gears.
- Reduces friction and wear between transmission parts
- Protects against rust and corrosion, which can impair the transmission
- Helps to prevent slipping of the transmission
Extends The Life Of The Transmission
By providing adequate lubrication and cooling to the transmission components, using 6l90e transmission fluid can also significantly extend the life of the transmission.
- Prevents the transmission from overheating and breaking down
- Reduces the likelihood of costly transmission repairs or replacements
- Increases the longevity and durability of the transmission
Using 6l90e transmission fluid can provide countless benefits, such as enhancing acceleration and speed, improving overall engine performance, reducing wear and tear on transmission parts, and extending the life of the transmission.
Make sure to replace your transmission fluid with 6l90e transmission fluid to keep your vehicle running smoothly and efficiently.
How To Choose The Right 6L90E Transmission Fluid
Just like any other car component, the 6l90e transmission requires regular maintenance to ensure it functions adequately.
One aspect of this maintenance involves using the proper transmission fluid. The transmission fluid not only lubricates the transmission but also cools and cleans it.
Using the correct transmission fluid optimizes the car’s performance, making it last longer and perform better.
Read More About: 4R100 Transmission Fluid
Factors To Consider When Selecting A Transmission Fluid
When it comes to choosing the right transmission fluid for your 6l90e transmission, you must consider several factors, including:
- Manufacturer’s recommendation: The manufacturer specifies the fluids that suit your car. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations or specifications when choosing transmission fluid.
- Viscosity: Transmission fluid viscosity affects the transmission’s ability to lubricate the moving parts. Ensure that you refer to the owner’s manual to choose the viscosity that matches your car’s specs.
- Performance: Choose a transmission fluid that delivers optimal performance and protection to the transmission, because it ensures smooth gear shifting and improves your car’s performance.
- Compatibility: Match the transmission fluid to the type of transmission you have. Incompatible fluids can cause damage to the transmission, leading to costly repairs.
- Price: The price of transmission fluid primarily depends on the ingredients used in it. However, don’t assume that the most expensive transmission fluid is always the best.
- Weather: The climate you live in also influences the type of transmission fluid you choose. For example, if you live in a state with harsh winters, you may need transmission fluid formulated for cold weather.
Popular Brands Of Transmission Fluid In The Market
Several brands of transmission fluids exist in the market, and each has its unique properties. Some of the most popular brands include:
- Gm dexron vi : This transmission fluid is a popular choice for 6l90e transmissions because it offers optimal performance, superior cleaning abilities, and corrosion prevention, among other benefits.
- Valvoline maxlife multi-vehicle atf: This fluid is suitable for a wide range of cars, including those requiring atf type a suffix a, dexron ii/iie, ford mercon, and more.
- Mobil 1 synthetic atf: This synthetic transmission fluid is the best choice for cars that require synthetic fluids. It provides excellent wear protection and helps extend your transmission’s lifespan.
- Castrol transmax dex/merc atf: This fluid works well in cold weather and is compatible with a variety of cars, including those that require ford mercon and dexron iii/h.
- Royal purple max atf: This is a high-performance transmission fluid that offers superior oxidation resistance, reduced wear, and longer fluid life. It’s an excellent choice for performance cars.
Choosing the right transmission fluid is critical to prolonging the lifespan of your 6l90e transmission.
Choose a transmission fluid that matches your car’s specs, is compatible, and offers optimal performance and protection.
With the right transmission fluid, you can enjoy a smoother ride and improved performance.
Signs Your Vehicle Needs A Fluid Change
If your vehicle uses a 6l90e transmission, knowing when to replace your transmission fluid is crucial in keeping your transmission running smoothly.
Here are the key signs and recommended intervals for replacing your transmission fluid.
Signs That Show You Need To Replace Your Transmission Fluid
Difficulty shifting gears
transmission fluid is essential in lubricating the moving parts of your transmission. When the fluid is old or contaminated, it won’t be as effective in reducing friction between the gears, making it harder to shift gears.
A burning smell coming from your transmission can indicate low or old fluid that is unable to prevent the transmission from overheating.
The burnt smell could also be a sign that your transmission is damaged, so get it checked by a mechanic immediately.
If you hear grinding or clunking sounds when shifting gears, it could be a sign that your transmission fluid is low or worn out. Unusual noises are typical signs that you need to change your transmission fluid.
if your transmission slips out of gear, or your car seems to delay before moving after you press the accelerator pedal, it could be a sign that your transmission fluid is contaminated.
Dark, discolored, or gritty fluid
healthy transmission fluid is usually bright red and clear. If it appears dirty, gritty, or dark-colored, it’s significantly contaminated and needs replacement.
The Recommended Interval Of Changing Transmission Fluid
The recommended interval for changing transmission fluid in a 6l90e transmission is approximately 50,000 miles.
It’s, however, essential to check the owner’s manual of your vehicle to know the recommended interval for changing the fluid.
If you frequently use your vehicle to tow heavy loads, drive in stop-and-go traffic, or drive through rough terrain, you may need to change the fluid more often.
Changing your transmission fluid at the recommended intervals will help keep your 6l90e transmission in optimal condition.
Paying attention to the signs mentioned above to know when your transmission fluid is due for a replacement could save you the cost of a complete transmission overhaul.
Steps To Change 6L90E Transmission Fluid
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Change 6L90E Transmission Fluid
Changing your 6l90e transmission fluid is essential to the overall health of your vehicle. Follow these steps to ensure a smooth and safe process.
- Locate the drain plug:
The first step is locating the drain plug. It is typically found at the bottom of the transmission, on the driver’s side. Consult the car manual if unsure.
- Remove the drain plug:
Using a socket wrench, twist the drain plug counterclockwise to remove it. Be sure to have a drain pan in place to collect the old fluid.
- Drain the fluid:
Once the plug is out, the old fluid will flow out of the transmission into the drain pan.
- Replace the drain plug:
When the old fluid has finished draining, screw the drain plug back in place securely.
- Locate and remove the fill plug:
The fill plug is usually located on top of the transmission, on the passenger side. Unscrew the fill plug using a socket wrench.
- Fill up the fluid:
Using a funnel, slowly pour the new transmission fluid into the fill hole. Check the manufacturer’s instructions as to the appropriate amount of fluid to be added.
- Check the fluid level:
Insert a finger into the fill hole to ensure the fluid level is adequate. Use a dipstick to check the fluid level if a finger cannot fit.
- Replace the fill plug:
After ensuring that the fluid level is right, replace the fill plug. Tighten the plug using a socket wrench.
Precautionary Measures To Observe
There are several precautionary measures to keep in mind when changing your 6l90e transmission fluid. Mishandling any step can lead to damage to your vehicle.
- Safety gear:
Wear gloves, safety goggles, and clothing that can protect you if the fluid spills. Transmission fluid is poisonous and harmful to the skin.
- Protect the environment:
Avoid pouring used fluid down a drain. Take the used fluid to a recycling center. Check with your local municipality about where to dispose of the old fluid.
- Use the recommended fluid:
Buy the manufacturer’s recommended fluid for the transmission system. Using the incorrect fluid may damage the transmission and void the warranty.
- Maintain fluid level:
Avoid overfilling the transmission by monitoring fluid level additions carefully.
- Inspect the bell housing:
As you drain the old fluid, inspect the bell housing of the transmission for any leaks or defects. Identify any damage and address it immediately.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions:
While this guide is comprehensive, consult the car manual and manufacturer’s instructions before starting the process.
With these guidelines, changing your 6l90e transmission fluid should be a safe and straightforward process to maintain the vehicle’s reliability and performance.
Frequently Asked Questions On 6L90E Transmission Fluid
1. What Type Of Fluid Does A 6L90E Transmission Take?
6l90e transmission takes dexron vi automatic transmission fluid.
2. What Is The Best Way To Check The Transmission Fluid Level On A 6L90E?
To check the level of your 6l90e’s transmission fluid, start by parking on a level surface and leaving the engine to cool.
Then, locate the fluid dipstick, pull it out, and wipe it clean. Finally, reinsert the dipstick and pull it out again to confirm the level.
3. How Often Should The Transmission Fluid Be Changed In A 6L90E?
If you operate your vehicle under normal driving conditions, it is recommended to change the transmission fluid and filter every 50,000 miles.
However, if you use your vehicle for heavy-duty hauls, commercial use, or city driving with frequent stop and go, you should change your transmission fluid every 25,000 miles.
4. Can I Use Any Other Type Of Transmission Fluid In My 6L90E?
You should only use dexron vi automatic transmission fluid in your 6l90e transmission.
Using other types of transmission fluids may damage the transmission, reduce performance, and cause other mechanical issues.
5. What Are The Common Symptoms Of Low Transmission Fluid Levels In A 6L90E?
Some common symptoms of low transmission fluid levels in a 6l90e include slipping gears, harsh shifting, transmission overheating, check engine light illumination, slower acceleration, and transmission fluid leaks.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is paramount to check your transmission fluid levels and top up accordingly.
Also Read: Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid Alternative
Changing the 6L90E transmission fluid and filter is essential to regular maintenance, which can help keep your car or truck running smoothly and efficiently.
With these steps, you can confidently tackle the job yourself and make sure your transmission is in great condition.