The 8L90E transmission is the latest addition to the world of automotive transmissions, boasting a range of features and benefits that make it a great choice for your vehicle.
This transmission is designed for smooth, effortless shifting, providing maximum power and efficiency.
Discover more about this transmission and the advantages it can offer for your vehicle.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Type
Dex 6 HP or Dexron-VI transmission fluid has a higher viscosity, enhanced anti-wear additives, and a special seal conditioner that helps protect the seals and keep them strong.
This special fluid was developed to help provide extra protection and wear guard additives to new 8L90E transmissions GM.
8l90e Transmission Fluid And Filter Change
Here are the basic steps:
- Make sure to keep your car running while you work.
- Use jacks and stands to raise your car and locate the transmission.
- Use a drain pan to catch the fluid you will be draining.
- Unscrew the transmission pan and drain the fluid.
- Replace the transmission filter.
- Replace the pan with the appropriate amount of Dexron transmission fluid.
- Replace the pan and lower the car.
- Start up your car and check for any leaks.
- Test drive your vehicle and check for any transmission issues.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Capacity With Torque Converter
The exact 8L90E transmission fluid capacity with torque converter depends on the model year and the vehicle, but it is generally within the range of 10.9 to 11.4 quarts.
Read More About:
How Much Fluid Does A 8l90e Transmission Hold
The amount of fluid varies slightly depending on the type and model of the transmission, but it is typically between 10.9 to 11.4 quarts.
How Many Quarts Of Transmission Fluid Goes In A 8l90e
Generally, it is recommended that between 10.9 and 11.4 quarts of fluid be added to an 8L90E transmission.
This fluid range is considered the ideal amount, and ensuring that the transmission runs optimally is necessary.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Check- How To
Before any work is done, ensure the vehicle is in the park, and the emergency brake is engaged.
Next, locate the transmission fluid level plugs on the side of the 8L90E transmission case, usually about halfway up the side.
Next, attach a ½” drive ratchet to the plug, gently loosen the plug and allow some of the fluid to drip out. The fluid pressure is adequate if the fluid is light red or pink.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Flow
If you’ve noticed that your 8l90e transmission fluid flow is off, you’ll first want to investigate the issue further.
Sometimes, the issue may be with the fluid levels within your transmission. If that is the case, you’ll want to top off the fluid and see if that solves the issue.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Capacity Dry
Depending on the specific model, the 8L90E transmission dry fill capacity of 10.9 to 11.4 quarts is often recommended for optimal performance and longevity. The exact amount can vary from model to model.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor
Having the 8L90E transmission fluid temperature sensor in your vehicle is not only helpful in keeping temperatures in check, but it is also vital for safety.
When temperatures become too high, the transmission can become overworked, slipping, jerking, and eventually a total transmission failure.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Change Interval
The 8l90e transmission fluid change interval for most vehicles is around 45,000 miles. However, this interval can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor
The 8L90E transmission fluid pressure sensor is usually located on the side of the transmission pan.
When the pressure sensor is not functioning correctly, the transmission will have shift problems.
8l90e Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch
The 8l90e pressure switch in the transmission fluid line contains two pressure ports. The first pressure port is the inlet port, and the second is the regulator.
The inlet port is where the engine sends its power to the torque converter, while the pressure regulator regulates the internal pressure of the transmission.
Also Check: 6R140 Transmission Fluid
What Is The Difference Between Zf 8 Speed And 8l90?
The biggest difference between the ZF 8 speed and the 8L90 is the number of clutches used.
The ZF 8 speed uses two clutches, while the 8L90 uses four. This additional clutch allows for quicker, smoother shifts and a more excellent range of gear selections.
The 8L90 also offers a greater torque capacity, allowing it to tow heavier loads than the ZF 8 speed.
Can You Drain 8l90e Transmission Fluid?
Yes, it is possible to drain 8L90E transmission fluid. The process is similar to draining transmission fluid from any other transmission type, but there are a few key things to remember.
The 8L90E is a high-torque, high-performance transmission requiring special care when draining or changing the fluid.
Understanding 8L90E Transmission Fluid
The 8l90e transmission fluid is a type of transmission fluid that is used in vehicles with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
This fluid is specifically designed to protect the transmission and ensure that it operates correctly.
What Is 8L90E Transmission Fluid?
The 8l90e transmission fluid is a type of automatic transmission fluid, specially designed to lubricate and cool the 8-speed automatic transmission.
The fluid protects the transmission and helps it to shift gears smoothly. It is a complex mixture of base oils and chemical additives, which makes it suitable for use in this type of transmission.
Importance Of Using The Right Transmission Fluid
Using the right transmission fluid is crucial in maintaining the performance of your vehicle’s transmission.
The 8l90e transmission fluid is formulated to work specifically with the 8-speed automatic transmission, and using the wrong type of transmission fluid could lead to a variety of problems, including transmission slipping, shifting issues, and even complete transmission failure.
Please Check: 4R44 Transmission Fluid
Different Types Of 8L90E Transmission Fluid And Their Composition
There are several different types of 8l90e transmission fluid, each with its own unique composition. Here is a breakdown of some of the most common types:
- Dexron vi: A high-performance synthetic fluid that meets the requirements of the 8l90e transmission. It contains advanced additives that help to reduce wear and tear on the transmission, while also providing superior protection in extreme temperatures.
- Mobil 1 synthetic lv atf hp: A high-performance synthetic fluid that is designed to optimize the performance of the 8l90e transmission. It has a low viscosity and high shear strength, making it ideal for high-performance vehicles.
- Ac delco dexron hp automatic transmission fluid: A synthetic blend transmission fluid that is formulated to meet the needs of the 8l90e transmission. It provides excellent wear protection and corrosion resistance, while also helping to maintain proper shifts in all operating conditions.
Choosing the right type of 8l90e transmission fluid is crucial in ensuring the longevity and proper functioning of your transmission.
By understanding the different types available and their unique compositions, you can make an informed decision when selecting the fluid that is right for your vehicle.
Benefits Of Using 8L90E Transmission Fluid
The 8l90e transmission fluid is a high-quality fluid specially designed to work with the 8-speed automatic transmission system.
Using 8l90e transmission fluid has numerous benefits, making it the perfect choice for your transmission system.
Improves Transmission Performance
Using 8l90e transmission fluid enhances the overall performance of your transmission system by reducing friction on critical components of the transmission.
This means that the transmission shifts more quickly and smoothly, making driving a more pleasant experience.
- Reduces transmission wear and tear.
- Provides smooth gear shifting.
- Enhances overall transmission performance.
Extends The Lifespan Of The Transmission
The 8l90e transmission fluid reduces transmission system wear and tear significantly, resulting in an extended lifespan of the transmission.
The fluid has excellent anti-wear properties and can withstand high temperatures, making it ideal for both city and highway driving.
- Reduces transmission maintenance costs.
- Extends transmission lifespan.
- Excellent anti-wear properties.
Increases Fuel Efficiency
Using 8l90e transmission fluid can improve fuel efficiency by reducing power loss through the transmission.
The reduced friction and wear on the transmission components result in less energy waste, meaning that more power is delivered to the wheels, increasing fuel economy.
- Increases fuel economy.
- Reduces power loss.
- Enhances transmission efficiency.
Better Shift Feel And Smoother Gear Changes
With its excellent lubrication properties, 8l90e transmission fluid provides more wear protection and a better shift feel.
It results in smoother gear changes, making driving much more comfortable and responsive.
- Provides excellent lubrication.
- Enhances the driver’s experience.
- Provides smoother gear changes.
Using 8l90e transmission fluid has numerous benefits that make it the ideal choice for your transmission system.
It enhances the performance of the transmission system, extends its lifespan, increases fuel efficiency, and provides a smoother driving experience.
Make the switch to 8l90e transmission fluid today for a better driving experience tomorrow.
When And How To Change 8L90E Transmission Fluid
Have you ever checked or changed your transmission fluid? If you haven’t, it’s time to do so! Your 8l90e transmission fluid plays a crucial role in the smooth functioning of your vehicle.
In this section, we’ll go over some important factors to consider when it comes to changing your transmission fluid.
Signs That Your Transmission Fluid Needs Changing
Transmission fluid, like any other fluid in your car, degrades over time and needs to be replaced.
By noticing the following signs, you can tell if it’s time to change your 8l90e transmission fluid:
- Unusual noises or vibrations coming from the transmission
- Difficulty shifting gears
- Burning smell coming from the transmission
- Discolored or grainy transmission fluid
If you notice any of these signs, it’s time to change your transmission fluid.
Recommended Intervals For Changing 8L90E Transmission Fluid
Regularly changing your transmission fluid prevents costly transmission repairs in the long run.
The recommended mileage intervals for changing 8l90e transmission fluid is 100,000-150,000 miles or every 5-6 years, whichever comes first.
However, mileage recommendations can vary with different driving styles and environmental conditions.
The Step-By-Step Process For Changing 8L90E Transmission Fluid
Changing 8l90e transmission fluid can seem like a daunting task, but it’s not as complicated as it appears. Here are some simple steps to guide you through the process:
- Warm up your vehicle to normal operating temperature before changing the fluid.
- Locate the transmission fluid dipstick under your vehicle’s hood and remove it.
- Position a drain pan under the transmission oil pan and loosen the pan bolts, allowing the old fluid to drain.
- After the old fluid has drained completely, clean the magnet at the bottom of the pan to remove any accumulated metal particles.
- Replace the transmission filter or remove the old one and install a new one if required.
- Clean the transmission oil pan and bolts, then reattach it with a new gasket or seal.
- Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid type, using a funnel to avoid spilling.
- Reinsert the transmission fluid dipstick and start the engine, allowing it to run for a few minutes.
- Check the fluid level using the dipstick and add more fluid if necessary.
- Test your vehicle’s transmission by driving it through several gears to make sure everything is working correctly.
By following these steps, you can change your 8l90e transmission fluid and ensure that your vehicle runs smoothly.
Remember always to use the recommended fluid type and keep an eye out for any signs indicating that it’s time to change the fluid again.
Choosing The Right 8L90E Transmission Fluid
Maintaining your 8l90e transmission system is crucial for ensuring its longevity and peak performance.
Along with regular maintenance and repair, choosing the right transmission fluid is also an indispensable aspect.
Factors To Consider When Selecting The Right Transmission Fluid
Choosing the right transmission fluid can seem like a daunting task. However, taking into account these few factors can make the selection process easier:
- Transmission type
- Operating temperature
- Transmission age and mileage
- Manufacturer specifications
Understanding Transmission Fluid Ratings
Transmission fluid ratings are essential to consider while choosing the right type of fluid for your 8l90e system. These ratings determine the performance capability of the oil, such as:
- Viscosity index
- Friction coefficients
- Wear protection capability
- Oxidation resistance
- Shear stability
Pros And Cons Of Using Synthetic Vs. Conventional Transmission Fluid
Synthetic and conventional transmission fluid provides different benefits. It is crucial to weigh these pros and cons while choosing the right fluid:
Synthetic Transmission Fluid
- Improved lifespan of transmission system
- Provides better lubrication in extreme temperatures
- Improved resistance to deposits and sludge buildup
- Expensive cost compared to conventional oil
- Not suitable for older transmission systems
- Limited availability in some regions
Conventional Transmission Fluid
- Cost-effective compared to synthetic oil
- Suitable for older transmission systems
- Wide availability in the market
- Limited performance when exposed to extreme temperatures
- Less durable as compared to synthetic oil
- Limited capacity to resist deposits and sludge buildup
By taking into account the factors mentioned above, it is easier to choose the right 8l90e transmission fluid for your car.
Ensure to follow manufacturer specifications and adhere to regular maintenance to ensure the longevity and smooth performance of your transmission system.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Using 8L90E Transmission Fluid
When it comes to ensuring the optimal performance of your vehicle with an 8l90e transmission, using the right transmission fluid is crucial.
However, there are several common mistakes you may make when using this transmission fluid.
Overfilling Or Underfilling The Transmission
One of the most common mistakes drivers make is either overfilling or underfilling their transmission with 8l90e transmission fluid.
Overfilling can cause the fluid to foam, while underfilling can cause damage to the transmission due to a lack of lubrication.
To avoid these issues, adhere to the manufacturer’s recommended fill level for your vehicle.
Mixing Different Types Of Transmission Fluid
Another common mistake is mixing different types of transmission fluid. Different transmission fluid formulations may contain varying additives and viscosity levels, and mixing them can lead to reduced performance, shifting issues, and even transmission failure.
So, ensure that you use only the recommended type of 8l90e transmission fluid for your vehicle, and never mix it with other types.
Failure To Follow Recommended Maintenance Intervals
Lastly, it is crucial to follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance intervals. Doing so will help ensure that your vehicle performs optimally and reduce the chances of transmission problems.
Regular maintenance can help detect issues early, prevent costly repairs, and ensure that your vehicle’s warranty remains valid.
Using the correct 8l90e transmission fluid and following recommended maintenance intervals is essential to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage to your transmission.
By avoiding the common mistakes highlighted above, you can ensure that your vehicle runs smoothly and efficiently, prolonging its lifespan.
Also Read: Ax4N Transmission Fluid
Frequently Asked Questions Of 8L90E Transmission Fluid
1. What Is The 8L90E Transmission Fluid Capacity?
The 8l90e transmission holds approximately 11 quarts of transmission fluid.
2. How Often Should You Change The 8L90E Transmission Fluid?
It is recommended that you change the 8l90e transmission fluid every 50,000 to 60,000 miles.
3. What Type Of Transmission Fluid Does The 8L90E Use?
The 8l90e transmission requires dexron vi atf automatic transmission fluid.
4. Can I Use Any Brand Of Transmission Fluid In The 8L90E?
It is recommended that you use only gm approved dexron vi atf transmission fluid in the 8l90e.
5. What Happens If I Do Not Change The 8L90E Transmission Fluid?
If the 8l90e transmission fluid is not changed regularly, it can lead to transmission failure and costly repairs.
Are you in need of reliable and efficient transmission for your vehicle? Look no further than the 8L90E transmission.
This 8-speed automatic transmission is built for both heavy-duty and everyday vehicles.